I’m not going to beat around the bush, this is by far my favourite homemade vegan sandwich yet! I don’t often made sandwiches for lunch anymore, I generally prefer to use up leftovers from dinner, grab a jacket potato or a wholemeal wrap with some kind of houmous, chilli, avocado, salad combo!
I googled a lot of recipes before I got inspiration for this sandwich and in the end came up with this idea while I was shopping and noticed a bag of Brussel Sprouts that were reduced in price… I know what you’re thinking… sprouts in a sarnie!!!? But honestly, prepare them like I did and you’ll look at sprouts in a whole new way!
Up until around a year ago I was definitely not a fan of Brussel Sprouts. I ate them only when it was Christmas, and I only ate them then because I knew they were healthy. My change of heart and taste buds only came about when Linds chopped them in half one day and then lightly steamed the halves with finely sliced garlic. My mind was changed then and there, and now I make them quite often – normally sliced with chilli, garlic and a ground spices. The texture is more like a crunchy lettuce/ spring onion in a sandwich! I will never boil a sprout whole again. Ever.
I made the sandwich three times over this morning as Linds and Mark were keen to try it for lunch today (or breakfast for Mark as he was hungry! – he must have liked it!). To make one sandwich you’ll need the following ingredients… all my faves, no wonder I love it! :o)
Ingredients & recipe
- 2 tbsp. houmous mixed with Sriracher hot sauce, and spread over two slices of granary or wholemeal bread
- Chilli & garlic Brussel Sprouts mix – *recipe for this below*
- 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
- Salad leaves
- A sprinkling of ground black pepper
Chilli & garlic Brussel Sprouts
I made these the night before and kept them in the fridge overnight. I also trialled this at Christmas and have never seen a Brussel Sprout dish be gobbled up so quickly, I almost didn’t get a look in myself!
- Stir fry 3 chopped garlic cloves and 1 green chilli in a little oil for a couple of mins
- Add sliced brussels sprouts (a handful is enough for a small batch)
- Add 2 tbsp. of dairy free yogurt (I used Alpro coconut yogurt)
- Add 1 tsp. each of cumin and cayenne pepper, and 1 tbsp. of paprika
- Stir fry for another 5 minutes, until the sprouts are al dente
- Season with salt and pepper, according to taste
If you make this, please take a pic and tag me on Insta (@happydaysvegan). I’m really keen to hear what you thought! On that note, I’m off to devour my sandwich. Have a lovely rest of your day peeps ♥