Hey gang – Happy Friday! Really sorry I have been quiet recently, my new project has kept me super busy and I’ve had a few other things to think about. But it’s now Friday and I want to share a comforting leek and potato soup recipe that I made earlier this week. Really needed on cold winter nights… hasn’t it got cold recently?! The air has a real bite to it. This soup warmed me up for the whole evening after a brisk but cold walk back home. I hope it does for you too if you make it!
- Two handfuls of new potatoes
- 4 leeks
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large white onion
- A glug of white wine
- Three cups of vegetable stock
- 1 green chilli, or two if like me you love spice in absolutely everything!
- A handful of seeds
- Salt, pepper & ground cumin, to taste
- Steam the potatoes for 10 mins
- Chop the leeks and steam with the potatoes for another 5 minutes until al dente (longer if needed)
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and chillies and pan fry in a little oil and water
- Once the potatoes are al dente, chop into large chunks and add to the pan with the leeks for 10 mins
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly
- Transfer to a food processor and blend with a little water (as much as needed) until smooth
- Transfer back to the pan
- Add the vegetable stock and seasoning
- Serve up with a chunk of bread and enjoy. I put some cooked leeks aside and sprinkled these on top with a small handful of mixed seeds for a little crunch!
When I fancy a chunky soup, I skip steps 5 & 6, leaving the leeks and potatoes in chunks 🙂